Skip to the content of the web site.

Student Support

Students taking online courses are an important part of the University of Waterloo's undergraduate community and are welcome to use any of the resources and support services provided:

Academic Advice
Academic Advisors are available to help you if you don't understand something, when you need course selection advice and when you have any questions regarding academic life at Waterloo.

Centre for Career Action
The Career Development e-Manual and the JobMine job listing site are just two of the online resources available through Waterloo's Centre for Career Action. They also offer a variety of workshops, in-person and virtual appointments to ease the career decision-making process and hone your job search skills.

Counselling Services
Counselling Services offers strategies for learning, managing stress, time management, reading, and writing exams.

Library Services
The uWaterloo Library has information dedicated to students taking online courses. It provides information on:

A Waterloo WatCard (student ID card) is required to access many Library services.

WatCards (Student ID Cards)
All Waterloo students need a WatCard, which is Waterloo's official student ID card. You will be required to show it during final exams. A WatCard will be mailed to all new students taking only online courses.

If you are taking on-campus courses you will need to have your photo taken in the WatCard office. If you are a Wilfrid Laurier or University of Guelph student and want to have a WatCard, please contact us.

If you have questions about your WatCard, please email or call us at 519-888-4002.

Writing Centre
The Writing Centre supports graduate and undergraduate student writing and communication through a variety of services and programs. Individual virtual appointments will be available for students beginning in Fall 2014  and can be booked through the Writing Centre website. Additionally, the Writing Centre administers the English Language Proficiency Exam (ELPE), which is a route for students in some faculties to meet the English Language Proficiency Requirement (ELPR ).

AccessAbility Services
The AccessAbility Services office works with Waterloo departments to promote the potential of students with physical, medical, psychological, sensory, or learning disabilities. If you require support for disability-related needs or academic accommodations in an online course, such as alternative formatting of course materials and/or exam arrangements, complete the AccessAbility Service's Request For Accommodation form.