Skip to the content of the web site.

Readmission and Program Plan Change

Waterloo undergraduate students in satisfactory standing who were previously registered and wish to resume their studies in the same program/plan must apply for readmission, as below, if they have been absent for a number of terms (e.g., Arts - 3 consecutive terms; Science - 3 consecutive terms). See the faculty academic regulations in the Undergraduate Calendar.

For options and processes if having been required to withdraw, refer to individual faculty academic regulations within the Undergraduate Calendar.

Waterloo undergraduate students who have applied to graduate or have graduated from a UW undergraduate degree and wish to resume studies at UW as a post-degree student must apply for readmission, as below.

Undergraduate students with satisfactory standing who are currently enrolled at UW and want to request a program/plan change, must submit a Plan Modification/Application for Internal Transfer form (Enrolment section of the Registrar's Office Forms site).

The following information will help guide you through the readmission process: submitting the Application for Undergraduate Readmission form with an indication of class selection and arranging for any required documentation, if applicable.

If you need assistance, please call 519-888-4567, ext. 32268 or e-mail

To review admission requirements, courses and degrees offered along with their respective regulations, please see Admission to UW and Faculty Regulations. As you are selecting courses, keep in mind that it is the student’s responsibility to make sure all degree requirements are met.

Readmission Procedures

  1. Review the Categories and Required Documentation Chart. From this chart, select the corresponding category. The documentation required for each category is outlined: (e.g., Application for Undergraduate Readmission, official transcripts). All documents must be supplied at the time you apply.

  2. Choose a class after reviewing the course descriptions in the online courses database. Be sure to check the term of offering and requisites. The descriptions also outline details about materials needed to complete a course (e.g., textbooks, notes, computer requirements) as well as course work (including assignments and exams).

  3. Print the Application for Undergraduate Readmission form (Admission section of the Registrar's Office Forms site). Complete all sections of the form.

  4. Arrange for any required official documentation such as transcripts from any institutions attended since you were last registered at UW.

  5. Refer to the Important Dates chart to make sure everything will reach us on time.

  6. Mail or fax your Application for Undergraduate Readmission, and any supporting documentation to Office of the Registrar, Online Education and Part-Time Studies, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1, Fax: 519-746-2882. Official transcripts* should also be directed to this address.

  7. The Office for Persons with Disabilities (OPD) works with UW departments to promote the potential of students with physical, medical, psychological, sensory, or learning disabilities. If you require support for disability-related needs or academic accommodations, such as alternative formatting of course materials and/or exam arrangements, please notify the Office for Persons with Disabilities using the form found under the Students link at
*For transcripts to be considered official, they must be sent directly from the institution you attended to the University of Waterloo's Office of the Registrar. Please allow 4-6 weeks for their delivery.

What Happens Next?

Once your application has been reviewed by the Admission's Committee, you will be notified by the Registrar's Office via email. If re-admitted you will be provided with information on enrolling in courses through Quest.

Back to top