Skip to the content of the web site.

Faculty of Science Regulations

Online Science Degrees

The general science, non-major, Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree, is a 3 year program that can be taken full-time on campus, entirely online or through a combination of both online and on-campus courses.

The four-year honours Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree cannot be completed fully online, due to limited availability of online courses and the laboratory requirements.

Visit the Admissions section of the Waterloo Undergraduate Academic Calendar for general admissions information or the Faculty of Science section for specific information on the faculty.

Note: Laboratory units are not required for the online three-year general science degree.

Note: The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences only offers EARTH 121 online. Students can take other Earth Sciences courses on a Letter of Permission from another institution.

Admission Inquiries/Registrar's Office:, 519-888-4567 ext 33548

Science Academic Advisor:

Priscila Carrara, 519-888-4567, ext 36939

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I take labs if I can take only online courses?
Students able to take only online courses are not required to do the related labs, so instead of 14.0 lecture units and 1.0 lab unit, 15.0 lecture units must be completed.

I received transfer credits. How do they fit into my degree requirements?
Review the Three-Year General Science Requirements, and talk to the Science Academic Advisor.

What do I do if I can't find appropriate online courses at UW to complete my degree requirements?
Students who have less than the maximum of 7.5 transfer credits allowed, can request permission to take courses at another institution to use towards their UW degree on a Letter of Permission.

Back to top